But they're good for you.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Find an answer for yourself: Proposition 8

I support the prophet and apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I support them because I feel in my heart that they are true leaders, called of God. I have listened to their words, read the scriptures, and prayed to gain these feelings. That is what God asks us to do-- to find out if the prophet is really a prophet, who is teaching the truth. We can't rely on what anyone else says-- we have to do the work and find out for ourselves.

So you can imagine my chagrin and utter bewilderment when I came across a website where members of our church are complaining that the church is forcing them to support Prop 8 in California.

First of all, that doesn't make any sense. If you don't believe what a church is teaching you, then stop going to that church. How does a church have the power to force you to do anything?

If you are a member of the church and you have a problem with what the prophet is teaching, that is your own personal business. But please don't post all over the internet about how the church is taking away your agency and forcing you to do anything. You have the freedom to do whatever you want, and believe whatever you want.

Second of all, the Proclamation on the Family has been around since 1995. It is not new. So if you are surprised at the church's adamant support of Prop 8, that doesn't make any sense either.

What the prophets teach has never been popular, since the beginning of time. There have always been grumblers when what the prophet said was not easy to hear, or when it went against the societal norms of the day. I am sure that many people were offended or angered by what Noah or Abraham or Peter or Paul had to say. That doesn't mean that what they said was any less true. In fact, it shows that they were willing to teach something unpopular, and that makes them even more credible.

So I would encourage anyone who has any doubt about the words of the prophet of our day to study them and pray about them. Find an answer for yourself.

13 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Chino Blanco, At 10:21 AM  

  • Chino Blanco, next time, please read my post before you post a random comment on my blog. Thanks.

    By Blogger merrilykaroly, At 10:36 AM  

  • What makes you think it was random?

    By Blogger Chino Blanco, At 11:20 AM  

  • Well, the fact that I saw you paste the exact same comment on both of my blogs and someone else's blog today.

    I don't mind a healthy discussion, but my blog post was not about Prop 8 campaign strategy nor target voters. It was about following the prophet and why someone should pray about it for themself. I was addressing the issues brought up on the website that you have been promoting created by Mormons who disagree with the prophet.

    I've been reading a lot of your comments over the past few days, and I think maybe you would make a better impression if you would address the specific issues in the blogs and have a good discussion.

    By Blogger merrilykaroly, At 12:42 PM  

  • You've been reading a lot of my comments over the past few days?

    In that case, apologies are in order.

    I'm sorry.

    But, hey, thank you for reading!

    Now, in terms of discussion, is there really an opening here to consider the issue? Or is your mind already made up?

    If you're seriously open to pondering this, I'd suggest you visit mormonsformarriage.com and watch that Clark Pingree clip.

    I've got a couple kids myself, and if any one of them grew up to be as articulate and well-mannered as that Clark Pingree, well, I'd be so proud that I wouldn't bother worrying about their sexual orientation.

    By Blogger Chino Blanco, At 1:40 PM  

  • Insightful post.

    I remember the Equal Rights Amendment (along the lines that males and females would not be differentiated before the law) debates in the 1970's. The Church took a stand against it, saying it would harm the family. Some LDS people complained that the Church was overreacting, etc.

    I remember some of the LDS-oriented anti-ERA information--predicting that if it did pass, it could lead to same-sex marriages. That sounded "out there"--that's not what it was intended for, and people said it was silly to say it would lead to such a radical thing.

    Well . . . here it all is now.

    The prophets are called to warn us and help us make decisions for what's up ahead--not just next year, but 10 years, 20 years, and much longer into the future.

    There are plenty of churches around that don't have prophets--if that's what bothers someone. God leaves us free to make our own choices.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:28 PM  

  • Anonymous--

    Thank you for your comment. I agree that we are free to make our own choices.


    Chino Blanco--

    I would ask if there is an opening for you to consider the issue? Or is your mind already made up?

    I watched the clip you mentioned. Clark Pingree has had a struggle with these issues, and I'm sorry to hear it. I don't know all the answers, and it makes me sad that people are suffering.

    That doesn't change the fact that I believe God has chosen a prophet to guide us. I have sought answers from God, and He has given them to me. I would invite you to do likewise--

    God is the only one with all the answers.

    By Blogger merrilykaroly, At 2:58 PM  

  • Hey,

    thank you for being brave and taking a stand. I think it helps all of us collectively, when people amongst us are willing to do so.

    My mom has been given a church assignment to call people she doesn't know, and survey them on this topic. I'm proud of her, too... that she's actually going to swallow her fear and do it.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 6:36 PM  

  • Very very good post.

    By Blogger N.F., At 3:25 PM  

  • Excellent post. Thank you!

    By Blogger Amy, At 12:50 PM  

  • Hi. I don't know if you will get this comment or not. However, since this blog doesn't seem to be active I was wondering if you would consider transferring to a different url (like maybe ihatevegetablesbut theyregoodforyou.blogspot.com) so I could use ihatevegtables.blogspot.com. Thanks!

    You can contact me if necessary at mishajoy25(at)yahoo.com

    By Anonymous Misha, At 1:03 PM  

  • http://lumerkoz.edu I want to say thanks!, [url="http://www.lovespeaks.org/profiles/blogs/buy-enalapril"]enalapril side effects[/url] upstate [url="http://www.comicspace.com/paxil/"]paxil side effects[/url] yearn crmc [url="http://www.sqlprof.com/members/Buy-Lamictal.aspx"]lamictal[/url] prkwy minimos [url="http://www.lovespeaks.org/profiles/blogs/buy-famvir"]famvir[/url] lime nurul [url="http://soundcloud.com/lorazepams"]lorazepam[/url] zones

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:54 PM  

  • Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation;
    many of us have created some nice practices
    and we are looking to swap methods with others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.


    Look at my website; home cellulite treatment

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home